Sunday, April 10, 2011

One Day in Pai

Sasha:

We've settled into our house in Pai. We've been fortunate.  The weather is supposed to be obscenely hot- 40C/ 100F and filled with smoke from where people are burning brush, but instead we are getting rain and thunderstorms.  This keeps things cooler, cleans out the air, and makes things too wet to burn.  We are loving it.  

Our place is about 10km from town, on a garlic farm.  In the evenings the earthy garlicy smell will waft through our windows- in the best possible way.  We have a large wrap around porch, with orchids hanging form the rafters, and ferns giving us shade.  We look out over the valley on a few other charming, and at the mountains on the other side.  There are 4 rental houses on the same property.  One of them has good speakers and likes to play Mozart, Chopin, Billy Holiday, Tosca, and spanish guitar music, so that has been our soundtrack.

The deck has been a perfect place for me to practice yoga, and after getting out of the practice for a month, it has been easier for me to pick back up here.
We go into town to buy produce at the market, which we've been turning into homemade salsa fresca, mango salsa, and marinara sauce made from scratch. After making nothing but Thai food while we were in Chiang Mai, I was ready for some variety.

My dear friend Ranya asked me about what adventures we've had lately, and I was at a loss for words.  It feels like we are no longer in pursuit of adventures, but really connected to day to day living. My main excitement has been about food, recipes, and my yoga practice.  Ra and I have taken up a sudoku with a vengeance, partnering up to tackle stupidly hard puzzles.  We spend a lot of time reading, and I'm managed to redesign my website.  We are frequently entertained by the local geckos.  The sounds they make never fail to amuse us, and I'm pretty sure that by the time we leave, I'll be able to distinguish which gecko is calling by the number of calls, and the intonation of it.

We did have one adventure- going out to one of the nearby waterfalls where the rocks act like waterslides.  The local kids were taking full advantage of that.  I was struck by the simple beauty of the area.  The mountains, the trees, the arctitecture, the fields and rivers.  My friend Christophe started a yoga class by talking about going to connect with nature, and Pai has been a great opportunity for Ra and I to do just that.  As many moments as I can muster I try to drink in my surrounding, listen to the sounds of nature, and be grateful. 














No comments:

Post a Comment