Saturday, November 6, 2010

Project Runway- Travel Edition

Sasha

Alright contestants: Congratulations, you are going to a theme party!  But here's the catch- your challenge for today is to create two looks inspired by a character from Alice in Wonderland.  You can use clothing and material from your back packs and what you can find in your parent's house- you will have 2 1/2 hours for this challenge. . .

It is 7:30pm, and Allon has invited us to an Alice in Wonderland party. My first thought is Costumes!  We barely brought any going out clothes, while all of our costumes are locked up in a storage unit in Alameda. .

(If you don't know him, Allon is the person responsible for introducing Ra and I on the sunset cruise more than 5 years ago)

We take stock of our situation: I have two sets of googley antennae that we are giving to the girls, lots of nylon hiking pants, a pair of purple tights, two sets of stripey sock poi. . .  While I have some colorful options, both Ra and I have a black outfit, and it occurs to me that if we attached spades/ hearts/ diamonds/ clubs we could turn ourselves into playing cards.

I scavenge around the house with Jeannie (Ra's mother) to find scissors, paper, a piece of red calico fabric, and a partial deck of cards.  I ask Ra what suit he wants to be- clubs- but then I decided that spades would be easier to cut out and sew on than clubs.  I tacked the spades and hearts onto our black tshirts, and then at Ra's suggestion added the playing cards on a couple corners.  I then created a fascinator using the fabric, cards, scotch tape, and a needle and thread.  Ra's hat got a pair of kings, and tah-dah! we were ready to party.


1 comment: